Treat the family to a turkey that is a true celebration of feast of flavours from the nuts of the stuffing and juicy meat for the projections of the Christmas spirit in the sauce.
The ingredient of Barley-stuffed turkey with brandy & cranberry sauce
- 120g butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 strips of lemon zest
- 3 sprigs thyme-fresh lemon
- 1 clove of garlic, bruised
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6kg fresh turkey or thawed frozen turkey
- 875ml (3 1/2 cups) of Massel chicken reduced salt style liquid stock
- 40 g (1/4 cup) of white flour
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) brandy
- 80 g (1/4 cup) jellied cranberry sauce
- 100 g (2/3 cup) dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon cognac
- 40g of butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 brown onions, finely chopped
- 100g ham, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage (see note)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon the leaves of thyme
- 160g (2 1/4 cups) fresh sourdough breadcrumbs
- 285 g (1 1/2 cups) cooked pearl barley
- 75 g (1/2 cup) hazelnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
The instruction how to make Barley-stuffed turkey with brandy & cranberry sauce
- To make the stuffing, combine the cranberries and brandy in a bowl. Heat the butter and oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Stir in the onion for 10 minutes or until tender and golden. Stir in the ham for 5 minutes. Stir in cranberry mixture, sage and thyme for 3 minutes or until fragrant. Transfer to a large bowl. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool. Stir in the breadcrumbs, barley, hazelnuts, eggs and lemon zest. Season.
- Preheat the oven to 180u00b0C. mix together the butter, the lemon zest, lemon, thyme and garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until combined. Stir in the lemon juice. Season. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
- Remove excess fat, giblets and neck of turkey. Wipe the inside and outside with paper towels. Lift the flap of the skin in the upper chest and fill it with the stuffing. Pour 2 tablespoons of the butter mixture into the cavity. Loosely fill with the remaining stuffing. Tie legs together. Tuck wings under. Place on a rack in a large roasting pan. Brush with the remaining butter mixture. Pour 2 cups stock into the base of the pan. Cover turkey with baking paper, then cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil. Roast, brushing once with the other butter mixture, for 2 hours.
- Discover. Brush with the remaining butter mixture. Roast, brushing twice with remaining butter mixture, for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until golden brown and the juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a skewer. Transfer to a platter. Cover with aluminum foil. Set aside for 30 minutes to rest.
- Pour the juices from the roasting pan into a pot. Discard the fat from surface, reserving 60 ml (1/4 cup). Return the reserved fat to the pan over medium-high heat. Add in the flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes or until bubbles. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir in the water of life, the remaining stock and meat juices. Stir over medium-high heat until the sauce is bubbling. Stir in the cranberry sauce. Boil, stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly. Serve with the turkey.
Nutritions of Barley-stuffed turkey with brandy & cranberry saucefatContent: 717 calories
saturatedFatContent: 40 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 15 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 29 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 47 grams protein