The ingredient of Hoisin turkey with shiitake
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of Chinese five spice
- 4.5 kg turkey, neck discarded, rinsed and patted dry
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 60 g duck fat (see note)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 3 star anise
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) chicken broth
- Steamed Asian greens, to serve
- 300 g (1 1/2 cups) jasmine rice
- 500 ml (2 cups) of chicken broth
- 2 star anise
- 40 g dried, sliced shiitake mushrooms (see note)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 (90g) small lap cheong sausages, (see note) thinly sliced
- 227g can sliced water chestnuts, drained, coarsely chopped
- 200g minced pork
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped coriander
- 1 lemon, zested, juiced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 175 g (1/2 cup) of hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
The instruction how to make Hoisin turkey with shiitake
- The salt of the turkey, mix the sesame oil, five spice and 1 tablespoon of sea salt flakes in a bowl. Place the turkey on a platter. Rub the salt mixture on the skin. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- meanwhile, mix the garlic, duck fat,white pepper and 1 teaspoon of sea salt flakes in a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- To make the stuffing, place rice, broth and star anise in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover, reduce the heat to low and cook for 12 minutes or until the stock is absorbed and rice is tender. Discard the star anise, then transfer the rice in a large bowl. Cool for 15 minutes.
- meanwhile, place the mushrooms in a bowl, cover with boiling water and stand for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain, then squeeze out excess water. Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, the garlic, the sausage and the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 15 minutes or until the onion is soft and golden. Cool. Combine onion mixture, rice and remaining stuffing ingredients in a large bowl. Season with 1 teaspoon of sea salt flakes and pepper.
- make hoisin glaze, whisk all ingredients in a small bowl until combined. Reserve 1 tablespoon for the sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 180 u00b0 c fan forced. Slide your fingers between the turkey of the flesh and skin to loosen. Rub duck fat mixture over the flesh under the skin. Loosely fill the cavity with 2 1/2 cups stuffing, then tie the legs and parsons nose (the part protruding below the legs) in collaboration with the kitchen twine. Put the remaining stuffing in a greased 1.5 L loaf pan and cover with aluminum foil.
- Place the turkey on a rack set in a large flameproof roasting pan. Add the star anise and 750 ml (3 cups) of water in the bottom of the pan. Cover the turkey loosely with baking paper, cover tightly with aluminum foil. Roast on the bottom of the grid, for 2 hours. Remove the foil and the paper, then brush the skin generously with glaze. Replace the paper and the foil, return turkey in the bottom oven shelf and place the pan of stuffing on the top of the shelf. Bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove the stuffing from the oven. Remove the foil and paper from turkey, then brush with glaze. Reduce the oven to 160C. Roast turkey on the bottom of the grid, for another 30 minutes or until juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a skewer or the internal temperature reaches 80 u00b0 on a meat thermometer. Transfer the turkey to a platter and cover loosely with aluminum foil. Rest for 20 minutes. Reserve roasting pan with juices.
- To prepare the sauce, remove the star anise booked the pan and discard. Place the pan on the stove over medium heat, and sprinkle the flour. Using a wooden spoon, stir, scraping the bits from the bottom of the pan. Gradually stir in stock and reserved for the frosting, then bring to a boil. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve into a small saucepan and discard the solids. Cook the sauce over medium heat for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened, then transfer to a jug.
- Carve the turkey and serve with stuffing, gravy and steamed vegetables.
Nutritions of Hoisin turkey with shiitakefatContent: 595.349 calories
saturatedFatContent: 24 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 7 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 28 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 6 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 64 grams protein
sodiumContent: 173 milligrams cholesterol