A rich and decadent soup to start the festive celebrations.
The ingredient of Spicy soup with parsnip
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 40g of butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 3cm piece of ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 500g of parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups (750 ml) Massel chicken-style liquid stock
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Cream, to serve
- Flat-sheet leaf of persil, hachu00e9, to serve
The instruction how to make Spicy soup with parsnip
- Toast cumin, coriander and cardamom in a dry pan over medium heat for 1 minute or until fragrant. Transfer to a mortar and pestle and grind into powder. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and 20 g butter in a frying pan over medium-low heat. Cook onion with 1/4 tsp of salt for 4 to 5 minutes, until tender. Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, garam marsala and ground spices, and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Peel, core and coarsely chop an apple and add to the pan with the parsnips, the broth, and 1/2 cup (125 ml) of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 40 to 45 minutes until the parsnips are very tender. Remove from heat, let cool slightly, then transfer to a blender and whiz until smooth. Return to the pot. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Slice apple into thin rounds. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and 20 g butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Add the apple and cook for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown.
- Divide the soup among bowls and garnish with the apple, sour cream and persil.
Nutritions of Spicy soup with parsnipfatContent: