Nothing summit to celebrate Christmas as a luscious berry trifle. For a twist on the classic, we used the cream of coconut to the dough and the filling. Start this recipe 2 days in advance.
The ingredient of Berries and coconut Christmas trifle
- 4 x 400ml cans of coconut cream
- 3 x 85g packets raspberry jelly crystals
- 250g strawberries, hulled, cut in two, not peeled, cut in half to serve
- 125g of raspberries, moreover, the service
- 12 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup corn flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup raspberry-cranberry juice
- Shredded coconut, toasted, to serve
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup milk
The instruction how to make Berries and coconut Christmas trifle
- Refrigerate cans of coconut cream for the night (do not tighten).
- Prepare the jelly following packet directions. Pour into a 14cm deep, 20 cm round (16 cups-capacity) trifle bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until starting to set (the mixture should have a thick, syrupy consistency). Stir in the strawberries and raspberries. The cover. Refrigerate 4 hours or until set.
- during this time, to remove the thick layer of coconut cream from each can and place in a bowl (about 2/3 cup of each can). Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate.
- put the rest of the coconut cream (about 4 cups) in a large saucepan over low heat. Bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat. Using an electric mixer, beat in the egg yolks, the cornstarch, 2/3 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla in a bowl until you obtain a smooth cream. Gradually stir in hot coconut cream. Return to the saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until thickened. Transfer the pastry cream to a large bowl. Cover the surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 hours or until cold.
- during this time, make the Vanilla Buttercake: Preheat the oven to 180 u00b0 c/160 fan-forced. Grease a 6cm deep 22cm round cake pan. Line base and sides with parchment paper. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating until just combined after each addition. Add the flour and the milk, in 2 batches, beating until just combined after each addition. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Level the top with a spatula. Bake in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Stand in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn, the high-up, on a rack covered with parchment paper. Allow to cool completely.
- Spoon 1/2 of the custard over the jelly. Difference of level. Level the top of the cake. Trim edge of cake to fit trifle bowl. Split horizontally. Sandwich with jam. Drop the cake on the custard. Drizzle with the cranberry and raspberry juice. Whisk the rest of the pastry cream until smooth. Pour over the cake. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Using an electric mixer, beat in reserved coconut cream with the remaining sugar and vanilla for 2 to 3 minutes or until soft peaks form. Spoon coconut mixture over cream. Top with the toasted coconut and extra strawberries and raspberries. To serve.
Nutritions of Berries and coconut Christmas triflefatContent: 605.626 calories
saturatedFatContent: 38.2 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 22.3 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 65 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 8.7 grams protein
sodiumContent: 172 milligrams cholesterol