theres Nothing like the old Christmas cake, especially when it is so easy. You will need to make the fruit mince at least 1 week before starting the cake.
The ingredient of Basic Christmas cake recipe
- 185 g butter, melted
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 maraschino cherries
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 cup sultanas
- 1 cup dried figs, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried pitted prunes, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup of tawny fortified wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mixed spices
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
The instruction how to make Basic Christmas cake recipe
- Make the Cranberry and fig fruit mince: Place all ingredients in an airtight container. Stir to mix well. The secure lid. Store in a cool, dark place for at least 1 week, stirring every 2 days, to allow the flavours to develop (see notes).
- Preheat the oven to 150 u00b0 C/130 u00b0 C fan forced. Grease a 7cm-deep, 20cm (base) round cake pan (see notes). Line base and sides of pan with 1 layer brown paper and 2 layers baking paper, extending paper 5 cm above edge of the pan.
- Place the fruit mince in a large bowl. Discard the star anise and the cinnamon. Add the butter and the eggs. Stir until well combined. Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda over the mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Spread mixture in the prepared pan. Level the top with a spatula. Using the picture as a guide, decorate the top of the cake with cherries and almonds.
- Bake in the oven for 2 hours or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Brush hot cake with brandy. Stand for 5 minutes. Fold the paper on the top of the cake and the tower, in the mold, and the head down, on a plate covered with baking paper. Cover with a clean cloth. Let cool in the pan for the night. Serve (see notes).
Nutritions of Basic Christmas cake recipefatContent: 257.881 calories
saturatedFatContent: 9.7 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 5.3 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 35.2 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 3.4 grams protein
sodiumContent: 48 milligrams cholesterol